Powered By Blogger

Friday, November 4, 2011

Let's Talk Smoke History

"A Smoking Club" - An illustration i...Image via Wikipedia
Let’s Talk Smoke History…..
                                                  I’m Just Say’ in…..
          I used to smoke a pack a day, every day for over 27 years. I enjoyed smoking, it was part of my everyday life and I didn’t know SQUAT about tobacco except it’s a plant. For all the time, money and effort I put into smoking all I knew was what brand I smoked, where to buy them and I preferred menthol over regular tobacco flavor. It wasn’t until I started using electronic cigarettes that I began to wonder when, where & how cigarettes came about. I’ve already shared my amazement with my family & friends, so it’s only right I post it online for all to see.
            In the beginning there was Man, Woman and Tobacco. Some will say Brazilians invented paper rolled cigarettes almost 2000 years ago. Most historians will say as early as 1 BC the Native American Indians were smoking tobacco in wooden pipes. The Mayan Indians carved pictures in stone showing tobacco use dating back somewhere between 600 and 900 AD. Throughout history up until the late 1800s people believed tobacco had healing qualities. It was the cure – all for everything from open wounds to cancer. YES! Cancer and if that don’t beat all, let’s include using tobacco as a painkiller, for toothaches and asthma. I couldn’t stop shaking my head when I read this, but it gets better.
            There’s tobacco history for every continent on the planet. Jean Nicot, a French Ambassador took tobacco plants to Portugal boasting about its curing abilities in 1559. Hence his last name is the root for the words nicotine and nicotinic. In the 1600s a few countries outlawed tobacco with some really harsh penalties. Turkey would torture or kill you. In China you would be beheaded and Russia’s second time offenders were put to death without question. Makes me real happy to be a 21st Century American, where I get to choose whether or not I want to kill myself slowly by smoking tobacco. I became interested in tobacco history in the first place because when I started using electronic cigarettes 2 years ago and recent events, I see the U.S. is trying to ban my new healthier alternative. Keep in mind smoking of any kind is dangerous to your health & since I survived an aortic aneurysm 28 months ago I can testify with all honesty quitting smoking is the absolute best thing a person can do, but converting to e-cigs (electronic cigarettes) is the next best thing if you can’t quit. I thought maybe the history of tobacco in the U.S. could tell me why I have the right to smoke tobacco knowing it can kill me but I don’t have the right to choose how I want to save myself from tobacco. So why is tobacco so damn controversial?
            Tobacco was the first crop grown & harvested for money in North America. Tobacco was a cash crop for the first settlers of the first American colony in 1612 Jamestown, Virginia. Tobacco was literally “As good as gold”. In 1632 it was illegal to publicly smoking in Massachusetts. Pierre Lorillard established the oldest U.S. tobacco company to date in 1760. It started off processing tobacco, cigars & snuff. Today their known as the makers of Newport menthol cigarettes. (My brand 27yrs) Tobacco financed the American Revolutionary War in 1776 serving as collateral for loans the Americans borrowed from the French. 1826 nicotine is discovered as main ingredient in tobacco and ten years later Samuel Green found nicotine to be an insecticide and poison with the ability to kill humans. The first death linked to smoking was documented in 1859. Washington Duke was the first to sell hand rolled cigarettes in 1865 at the end of the Civil War. James Bonsack invented a cigarette making machine in 1881 which helped make cigarettes the #1 tobacco product made and sold everywhere by the 1900s. This machine could make 120,000 cigarettes a day.
            In 1901 over 3.5 billion cigarettes were sold. In 1902 Phillip Morris set headquarters in New York to market the famous Marlboro brand cigarettes. World War 1 (1914-1918) cigarettes were the “Soldiers Smoke”. World War 2 (1939-1945) cigarettes were at an all-time high and included in soldiers C-rations like food. Millions of cigarettes were sent to the soldiers for free so when they came home tobacco companies had a stream of loyal customers. From 1952-1956 Lorillard’s Kent brand had asbestos in the filters. RJ Reynolds made filtered Winstons in 1954 and introduced Salems the first filter tipped menthol in 1956. After what appears to be a few hundred years of knowing the dangerous capabilities of smoking tobacco, the Surgeon General finally put out the “Smoking and Health” report in 1962. This report assisted the government to regulate advertisement and sales of cigarettes. It took two more years 1966 for the health warnings to be put on every pack. Until the 1960s the U.S. was the #1 manufacturer and exporter of tobacco, more than any other country. Television Ads weren’t taken off the air until 1971 but they’re still the second most heavily advertised products to cars. The first Great American Smoke Out was in 1977 the same year the Surgeon General reported the Health Consequences of Smoking for Women. In 1982 the Surgeon General reported second hand smoke may cause lung cancer leading to the restriction of smoking in public areas especially in the workplace. 1985 lung cancer became the #1 killer of women followed by breast cancer. The 1980s was called the “Tar Wars” because tobacco companies made over a hundred low tar & ultra-smokes.
            History tells us that tobacco has been used since the dawn of time and I believe it to be true that history repeats itself. Again cigarettes are “as good as gold”, especially in places like New York and California. But this time around cigarettes also carry governmental and political values far heavier than ever before. For every pack a smoker buys, that’s one pack closer a smoker is to dying and more power to the government that regulates them. I am thankful to Mr. Hon Lik who invented the e-cig in 2003 even though Herbert Gilbert had the concept since 1963. Here it is 2011 and I finally find an alternative to the addiction that binds me and since my government can’t find a way to regulate it, they plan to ban electronic cigarettes altogether. This leaves me and others like me no choice but to continue using tobacco products if we can’t quit.
            The FDA claims there’s not enough research testing on the effects of nicotine alone despite the fact nicotine was discovered and separated from the tobacco plant in 1826. Smoking is an addiction and smokers need as many options available to help them quit or at the very least a healthier alternative without the consequences of second hand smoke. If you’re a smoker or knows someone that does. What harm would it be to look into electronic cigarettes? Research it and choose what works for you.

                                                                                        Just Say’ in
                                                                                                 

            

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment